Tuesday, June 5, 2007

"Is this a safe neighborhood?"

This question is on the growing list of questions that property managers like me aren't allowed to answer. The minute I tell you it's a safe neighborhood, a methed-out dude from east county will break into your apartment and steal your old Tori Amos CDs. Said methed-out dude isn't really interested in singing along with "Cornflake Girl," so he'll sell them at Everyday Music and you'll wonder how I could have possibly assured you that the neighborhood was safe. At least, that's the answer I give people. I think the official reason we don't answer that question is a little more on the legal side and a little less on the Tori Amos side.
At any rate, now whenever we're asked that question we tell people to check out PortlandMaps. It's actually a really neat website with a lot of information, including crime statistics. Just type in the address of the apartment or house you're interested in and go from there. I'm including a link to this on the sidebar on the left.

No comments: