Friday, May 18, 2007

Ladd's Addition Apartments


If you haven't heard about the incident last week at the Ladd's Addition Apartments yet, then I'll briefly fill you in (as I understand it): Some idiot that lives there decided it would be a good idea to microwave some mercury and caused a chemical fire. Said chemical fire caused a total evacuation of the building and now all of the other residents' possessions have to be destroyed by hazmat. In true Portland style, his excuse was that he was trying to build a fuel cell that would run cars on pure lavender oil. Or something like that.
I heard through a trusted friend of a relatively-reliable friend that some of the tenants are trying to sue either the building owner or the management company, but this is a lawsuit that they will lose. It is situations like this that are the reason you need renter's insurance. I pay a total of $10.58/mo for my renter's insurance, so there's no excuse not to have it.
Chances are that your building will never catch fire, but if it does, the apartment building is NOT liable for your stuff. Or your living situation. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
On the plus side, The Ladd's Addition Apartments are really cool, and I'm pretty sure some people are going to be moving out soon. Those hazmat guys can really clean stuff up, so I'm sure the place is okay.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Martin :) Have you heard anything about the Ladd's Addition Apartments since your last post in May? I was checking out a smaller apartment building, I think it has 20 units, next door to it and remember seeing the yellow tape surrounding the building and a crew working on the site. I've been on a "list", for an available studio and was wondering if you knew anything. Thanks :)

martin said...

I've been keeping an eye on it, waiting for people affected by the chemical fire to move out, but haven't heard anything new. I know that the lady that runs Ladd's Addition also manages the Mulberry. I've always wondered about that building next door though. I never see a "now renting" sign up there any more.