Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Kent Apartments


Here's an ad on craigslist for a one-bedroom at the Kent Apartments located on SE 20th and Belmont. It was built in 1923 and rents for $650. But check out the ad. I don't know, but something about it rubs me the wrong way. For example:
Please email us a bit about yourself and to schedual a time for viewing.
Why does that sound so sketchy to me? I'd be okay with that line if it were someone just looking for a roommate, but this is an ad for an apartment building. Is that line implying that he is giving preference to one group over another? I mean, not to mention the spelling thing. And then, even worse, there's this:
No application fees.
Is this implying that the tenants aren't screened? I don't know about you, but I gain some solace knowing that the people that share walls with me have passed a basic criminal background check. Of course, I'm not saying that the landlord is discriminating against anyone or that he's letting a bunch of arsonists and child molesters moving in. I'm just saying he should write better ads so the wrong people don't think that's what he's doing. At any rate, $650/mo for a one-bedroom is a great deal. Especially considering that the 2-bedroom condos next door are listed at almost $500k.

No comments: