Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Zomerzet?


In the autumn of 2000, just months after I started this job, I was up in apartment 205 of the Warnell Apartments cleaning up after a tenant that had just moved out. It was about 10pm, but I was sober and poor so I needed the $55 to pay for ramen and bus tickets. I was scraping candle wax off the hardwood floors when I heard a weird thumping sound out the window. The picture you see to the left is what is now the Zomerzet. Back in the autumn of 2000 it was a home for underage girls that had been shunned by their families. And on this particular night the thumping I heard was caused by a topless sixteen-year-old girl attempting to escape from the second story window with a series of tied-together sheets. And she was having a lot of trouble escaping. Also I have no idea why she was topless. If it were me, I would have at least put a bra on, but then again I'm not a troubled sixteen-year-old girl so what do I know? She got about three feet down when the knot on her sheets gave way and she tumbled into the arbor vitae below. Unphased, she limped off into the crisp cloudless and evening. Two days later I saw the same girl WITH a top (and a cast on her right leg) edging the lawn on the eastern edge of the property. I'll never know if landscaping is an appropriate punishment for topless jailbreaking, but I will always remember that night as the first and last time I saw underage boobs on the lam. Unless you count that one time in college.
Call the Zomerzet (seriously? that's what you're calling it?) at 503.238.8551. But tell them to fix the dryrot in their gutters first. It's annoying the crap out of me.

No comments: