Monday, April 26, 2010

Cedarhusrt Village


View Larger Map
Although I drive by this place almost every day, I know very little about it. I know it's kind of new--maybe built around 2004 or something (portlandmaps.com won't tell me). I want to say that it was meant to be condos originally, but I have nothing to back up that assertion. At any rate, it's always given me a bad feeling for some reason. Their ad on craigslist doesn't help:
Please read the screening process and criteria requirements:

Move in costs are one half of the first month rent and last months rent plus $350 security deposit. $382.50 + $765 + $350 = $1,460.00 on move-in day. This is a 12 month lease.

The application fee for our 3rd party screening company is $35.00. The screening includes Rental reference, criminal history, and credit. Any bankruptcies or previous evictions would be considered a denial.

Also, your income must meet 3x's the monthly rent of the apartment. In this case your gross verifiable income must be $2,300 per month.

Like I said, I have no reason to dislike this place. Just something about it rubs me the wrong way. I don't think I'd rent an apartment from them. Of course, maybe they're awesome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Found you via Google search on an apartment you linked to last year. I'm curious: the text of the Craigslist ad that you provide in this post is pretty common to most apartments I've looked at, though usually most of that info is provided upon viewing the apartment rather than in the advertisement (personally I appreciate having that kind of info in the ad itself so I don't waste my time visiting a place with restrictions and expenses I can't meet). What rubs you wrong about it?

martin said...

I've read it over three times this morning and I still can't put my finger on it. You'd think I'd be all for it: I post videos of my apartments to save both potential renters and me a lot of time. Having all the info up front about deposits is great because it probably saves everyone a lot of time--not to mention gas, frustration, etc.
I am completely in the dark as to why I don't like this ad, and if it seems to be working for the manager or management company, there's really no reason to do anything differently.