Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Woot! Reader Question!

Martin. Avid reader of your site, even when not looking for a new place to live. I need help and a prayer- esp. considering what I am looking for. I have a yellow lab, looking for a 700+ sq. foot place (apt or house), close-in, and hopefully not over 900 a month....

Mission impossible? Yeah... I was afraid of that. But I was hoping that you may be able to help? I would forever be in your debt.


Hey Gerry:
If you're alright with the SE 40th and Powell, my Creston Villa Apts complex sometimes has 750 sq ft 2bds for $775-$825. I'm currently full, but I'm sure i'll have one in the next few months. APM has such a huge chunk of affordable 2bds in the close-in area, but they don't accept dogs.
What about this craigslist ad? I can't find them on the google though for some reason.
Or this downstairs part of a house on Mississippi?
Or this one on 61st? Too far?

A couple years ago when I started this blog I found most of the content just by taking my newborn son on walks around the neighborhood and seeing all the "for rent" signs. Our "territory" back then was bordered by Burnside and Division to the north and south, and 35th and 11th to the east and west. I always thought it was pretty amazing how most of the smaller complexes, plexes, and houses would rely solely on a sign. Maybe this weekend would be a good time to take the dog on an extended walk? Supposed to be 63 and sunny on Saturday.

In the mean time, I'll keep an eye out for dog-friendly places. You'll have to let me know if you absolutely want hardwood floors, because that might be the deal-breaker as far as "close-in" is concerned. Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

nonsie said...

I'm pretty much in the same situation with a 90 pound rottweiler and hence willing to pay up to 1300 a month. So far, no luck though:(
I really wish there was a way to find large dog friendly apartments/houses in PDX. And 25 - 50 pounds is not large by any standard...

Anonymous said...

Round Hill Pacific allows dogs...with certain breed restrictions though that a rottie may not qualify for. The places are all in NW and not cheap but not the worst. They allow for any pet numbers that the county allows though which is great for cat ladies like me, ha ha!

martin said...

Anon, any idea what the county allows?
Nonsie, I think you'll have the most luck with private owners instead of management companies. Especially in the Woodstock or Cully neighborhoods. Too bad you can't hold on until June when the Reedies move out. That's when those Woodstock owners start getting desperate.

martin said...

Hey Nonsie, check this out:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/1629235174.html

Magpie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Magpie said...

I'm also looking for pet friendly apts. - except my rental budget is closer to 6-700 and my dog is fifty pounds :/ I'm also trying to find places on the East side, that aren't past the fifties/sixties.. yikes! My time limit is from May to June- If you see anything, please let me know!

Amy Dennis said...

We're relocating from Texas to PDX the first week of June. We have been looking for a 2 bedroom from Montavilla-ish SE to Holgate. We have two cats, both well behaved and a year old. Do you know if you have any vacancies coming up that would fit our needs? We're trying to stay under $825. Thanks in advance!