Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Breakin' the Law.

Okay, so we all know that House Bill 771 abolished pet fees right? Head over to Portland Craigslist and type in "pet fee" in quotes in the search bar. Most of the results will come up as places in Vancouver, and another good percentage of the results will be because the phrase "no pet fee" is in the ad. But an astonishingly numerous amount of rentals in Portland seem to still be advertising that they charge a pet fee!
Now, I'm not a fancy big time lawyer or anything (although I am quite fancy sometimes). But I would imagine that if one had enough time, one could make quite a living off of legal settlements from these places. I'm not sure that these ads are discriminatory, like when people advertise "no kids" or something, but you think there would be consequences.
I'm not suggesting that you try to make a living this way, by the way. Nor am I linking to any of the "pet fee" ads. I'm just curious.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got into with a lister on CL the other day who wanted a prospective reader to email him with where they work for a living. When I suggested to him that maybe he shouldn't be quite so obvious that he doesn't follow the law (and rent to the first folks that pass the credit criteria he set) he got all pissy. Who wants to rent from somebody who doesn't even care that they show discrimination?

martin said...

When people call me and ask if we allow kids in the building, I always wonder if they have been turned down at a different building because they have kids. That's gotta be worth at least a $4500 settlement.

Anonymous said...

I was told I'm required to pay move-in and move-out fees of $200 for a condo I'm renting. When I brought up the new illegality of this, the leasing agent assured it's legality because the money goes to the building/HOA. I don't see how this makes it legal. If the HOA requires MI/MO fees, wouldn't it fall upon the condo owner to pay them? Any advice?