Tuesday, August 25, 2009

2102 SE 12th Ave.


I never see apartments come up at the good ol' Virginia Lee, mostly because it's only a 12-plex. I've always really liked the front of the building, as it reminds me of the Enchanted Forest. $795/mo is pretty standard for a vintage one-bedroom in the neighborhood, but I'd be a little worried about paying for your own gas heat. I think the windows are the original wooden ones, so you could see a $100 NW Natural bill come winter. I could be wrong about that. Also, it's interesting how they work their cat policy. You have both a $150 one-time fee, and a $15/mo fee.
Pet rent is a relatively new concept to me. I personally think that it kind of encourages people with pets to move out sooner, whereas a one-time fee would encourage tenants to stay longer. For example, let's say you move into a place that has a $200 pet fee and you stay there for 20 months. You've basically paid $10/mo to have your pet. Compare that to, for example, a $20/mo pet fee and no one-time fee due upon move-in. That would be incentive for me to find a new place.
Of course, the Virginia Lee has both kinds of pet fees, so I'm not sure where the logic in that is. Maybe I just dislike cats.
UPDATE: Please see the comments about the heating bill! Also, see the comments about how I was totally wrong about the cat fee. It's OR not AND. I didn't read the ad carefully...
503/757.5201

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I live in the building, on the second floor, and my gas bill was about $60 last winter during the harshest part.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the fee works this way: it's either a $15 a month fee OR a $150 one-time fee. So, if you're only going to stay around for six months, you pay $15 a month.

If you decide you want to stay on longer, you may want to pay the one-time fee of $150, so you start saving money you would have lost at $15 a month after 10 months. Either way, it looks like an option (it says OR and not AND).